Sunday, November 20, 2011

Distress inks & stamps xmas scene

This is one of the cards that I made this afternoon, ready for my schools christmas fair next month.
The inspiration came from the stamps used which are from Kanban from a kit I got from QVC. The idea was on the inspiration sheet but I have adapted it slightly. I started with a pale blue A4 card which was simply folded in half to make the A5 card. I used a Kanban fancy snowflake stamp with the 'chipped saphire' Tim Holtz distress ink to stamp the background of the card and also added the dark blue organze ribbon around the edge.
The topper was started by again using the chipped saphire ink to stamp the frame aspect which is again from the Kanban stamp set. I used my xcut trimmer to cut a small border and used my xcut scissors to trim out the centre of the frame leaving a small white border. The background was made using pearlescent printable paper from anna marie designs http://www.annamariedesigns.com/, stormy sky distress inks, black memento ink, some more Kanban stamps, frosted lace stickles and plenty of post-its!

So that I didn't get any ink on the edge of the paper which would be visible as the mat, I started by sticking some large post-its around each edge to stop the ink getting to those parts. I then used my foam tape roll to provide a stencil to cut a circle from another post-it. This circle provided the mask for the moon. I then took one last large post-it and carefully tore it along the sticky edge to create a rough border. I stuck the 'moon' mask onto the card and the rough edge a little further down at a slight angle. I then used my 'stormy sky' distress ink to ink the top section of the topper. I then moved the 'rough border' post-it, slightly further down and, this time, just inked close to the edge of the post-it creating the snow scene. After the ink had had a few seconds to dry, I used  the Kanban tree stamp with the black memento ink to stamp the trees on the snow layers. I just inked the stamp once so that the background trees were fainter than the foreground. The 2 deer stamps were also from the Kanban set but after I had stamped them with the memento ink, I went over the top with my black promarker just to make it a little darker. I then used 3d foam to mount the frame onto the topper and then put that onto the card.

The final aspect was the silver message peel-off by Anita's which I got from the NEC. The pearlescent aspect of the topper looks particulalry good when the light shines on it and I think it has worked really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment