Saturday, February 2, 2013

Bugaboo Digi Stamps- 'Love Owls'

This is the first card I have created for the Card Makin Mamas Design Team. The theme was LOVE and my lovely (!) main image came from Bugaboo Digi Stamps website. This is the first time I have used an image from their website but I can see that I'll be going back there again. They had lots of brilliant designs to choose from.

I am also entering this card into the Basic Grey 'Love is in the Air' Challenge.


The idea for this card started as soon as I saw the digi-stamp. I knew that I wanted to do paper piecing with it although this was something I had never done with a digi stamp before. I was hoping to be able to change my printer settings so that I could print the image straight onto a 6x6 paper and then cut out the different pieces I wanted, unfortunately this wasn't going to work. In the end, I printed the image onto plain white paper and then attached my base, cloud design, paper over the top of the printed image and then put it through the printer again. I repeated this process for the other elements I needed, carefully cutting the papers roughly to size before putting them over the part of the image I wanted. As it was my first go at this technique, I printed each piece seperately but now I know that it works, next time I will fit on as many parts as I can in one go.

The background cloud design came from a 6x6 DCWV paper pack that I've had for ages. I printed the owls onto 2 different shades of textured brown paper from the Papermania 'Bird Song' collection with Basic Grey 'Sugared' paper for the girly owl & Sissix 'Pastel Little Sizzles' for the boy one. The heart was printed onto some more DCWV 6x6 paper which is the same paper I used for the card background. I coloured the leaves, small bird & flower with my promarkers.

I rounded the corners on my main topper & backing paper before mounting it onto a 6x6 scalloped edge card blank.

4 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous :)
    If you are still interested in being a guest designer for the Basic Grey challenge please email me at cathywallington@yahoo.co.uk for more details.
    Hugs
    cathy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Vicki!
    What a cute pair of owls! Paper piecing with digis is more time consuming than traditional stamps, but worth it in the end - your card is adorable!

    Could you send me your email? I am putting together the contact list for the CMM DT and I'm missing your's.

    Thanks!
    Angi
    CMM DT
    makingmayhem [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute card ! Those owls are gorgeous !

    Thank you for joining us at BasicGrey Challenges

    Hugs

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous card Vikki, a great colour scheme and I love those sweet owls!!

    Thanks so much for joining us the Basic Grey challenge,
    hugs
    Heather xx

    ReplyDelete