Thursday, February 28, 2013

Knight Bus

I love most things fantasy based but particularly LOVE Harry Potter (especially Ron!)- so I make lots of HP themed cards. I was lucky enough to go to the Studio Tour not long ago and took about a million photos that I thought I might use in some of my cards. I've not got round to that yet but when I was lucky enough to win the new XCut 'Create A Scene' dies in the Daring Cardmakers challenge, I chose the London set so that I could hopefully use it to make some HP cards. I particularly wanted to make a triple decker purple Knight Bus. I have tried to do this with stamps in the past but, even with masking, it didn't work very well. I was hoping that the double decker die would be a better bet. It did take me a couple of attempts but I'm pretty happy with the results. So much so that I found myself jumping up and down (literally) with a huge grin on my face!

Here is my completed card


I started by choosing 3 different shades of grey card and used the xcut dies and my grand calibur to cut the 3 different layers of London skyline. I attached them together with 3d foam pads and then used my trimmer to even up the edges. I then cut a thin piece of black card (for the road) and used double sided tape to attach it to the base of the design. I then used a thinner origami paper to cut the buses, taxi, lamp-posts, post box & telephone box. It took me a few attempts to arrange them where I wanted them so I did not glue them straight away. When I was happy with the composition, I attached everything with my quickie glue pen which can be used on really detailed elements. I then got a piece of A4 dark blue card which I folded into an A5 card blank using my ScorPal score board. The card was slightly wider than my London scene so I trimmed the base card down as it would have looked strange if the scene did not go right to the edge of the card. I finished the card by stamping the dragon in the sky using black Memento ink and then used my Stardust Stickles to create some stars- being a proper geek for things like that I even did proper constellations (Orion, the Plough and Cassiopeia).

In case anyone else wants to make a Knight Bus, all you need to do is cut 2 of the double deckers in a nice purple paper and then cut one of them just below the bottom windows. You can then layer the 2 pieces together, overlapping the central windows- you will need to cut out part of the door barrier too.

I am entering this card into the Polkadoodles 'fantasy' challenge.

3 comments:

  1. What a stunner, Vikki! The 3 layers of London skyline is breath taking! And what a clever trick to make the Knight Bus. This is a work of art! Thanks for joining the Fairytale / Fantasy challenge at PolkaDoodles. So looking forward to seeing you again next week. ... x
    Asha - PolkaDoodles DT
    Sunny Summer Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the skyline effect. Thanks for joining us at Polkadoodles!
    Kim x – PD DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Card, thanks for joining us at Polka Doodles xxx Lidia (DT)

    ReplyDelete